Scared Heart Girls College Oakleigh

History

Sacred Heart Girls’ College was opened in 1957 by the Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions. The Sisters came from their convent in Highgate, Perth, Western Australia, bringing with them the wonderful traditions of their congregation.

When Euphrasie Barbier established the Congregation of Our Lady of the Missions in France in 1861, she took on a new name: Mother Mary of the Heart of Jesus. It is from her name and her special devotion to the Sacred Heart that our College is named - like many others established by her sisters around the world.

Euphrasie wanted to continue Jesus' mission: to reveal to all peoples God's spirit and love, alive and present in the world. Her sisters were to be witnesses to the good news, that everyone carries the image and likeness of God in their hearts, and recognizing this enables them to live their lives to the fullest. She especially wanted her sisters to go out of their way to carry this message to women and children. Her tradition of Christian witness among women and her love of Mary as our model have a special value at Sacred Heart Girls’ College.